Traditionally, people involved in sports, as well as those who have just embarked on the path of a healthy lifestyle, do not exercise exercises for stretching so often. There is an opinion among ordinary people that flexibility of muscles is necessary only for those who play sports professionally, and first of all for gymnasts and acrobats. Sometimes the reason that the trainee does not devote the stretching of the proper time is banal laziness or lack of time, and often people have not really heard of this type of exercise.
However, stretching exercises with proper diligence will bring invaluable results:
- reduce tension in muscles and ligaments, which will allow our body to become more relaxed;
- will improve coordination and significantly increase the range of motion, making movements involved
- prevent injuries due to muscle deformities and sprains;
- prepare the body for tense activity, making the load easier;
- increase human control of the body and a sense of concentration on movement, establish a connection between muscles and mind;
- stimulate circulation, which will occur due to the saturation of muscles with oxygen;
- accelerate the recovery process of overtrained or injured muscles;
- even contribute to muscle gain and strength (we mean the fascia stretching exercises developed by John Parillo);
- most importantly, stretching will clear your mind and lift your spirits!
Accordingly, stretching exercises have many advantages. Of course, there are also disadvantages: improper training will lead to damage to the joints or ligaments. However, a competent approach to stretching ensures the absence of any negative consequences.
As a rule, this type of exercise is attributed to either static or dynamic stretching. It is static stretching that is the base from which stretching begins, therefore, these exercises are especially recommended for beginners. It is important to remember that these stretching exercises absolutely exclude any sudden movements. Each position must be held for several minutes. It is very important to feel how your muscles are pulled.
Dynamic stretching is the next step. It can only be practiced if you have a fairly long stretching experience. Exercising, practicing this kind of stretching, make a set of various moves, rolls from the position of the transverse twine to the longitudinal or vice versa.
Complex for beginners
Let’s look at a set of stretching exercises, which is useful even for beginners. All exercises from it are static, respectively, they can be considered not requiring special training. An important point: before the start of stretching, you need to warm up the legs, as well as those muscle groups that you plan to pull. It makes sense to perform 2 sets of squats 25 times each, jump on a rope or work out a few minutes on a stationary bike.
- We feed forward the right leg (left foot behind). We rest on the floor with the left knee. Hands abut the floor. Slowly lean forward. We feel the stretching of the muscles of the legs (thighs) and freeze in this position for 30 seconds. We inhale while exhaling we try to bend lower. We freeze in a new point also for 30 seconds. Slowly return to the starting position and change the leg.
- Straighten the right leg, resting on the left knee. Hands abut the floor. Slowly tilt the torso down, making sure that the back always remains level. In the lower position, we linger for 30 – 40 seconds. Again we try to descend even lower and exhale. We feel the stretching of the muscles of the legs (back of the thigh), as well as the knee ligaments. Slowly return to the starting position and change the leg.
- Lay your back on the floor, lift your right leg up, grasp it with your hand just above the knee. We relax, take a deep breath and as we exhale, pull our legs towards ourselves. We try to do the exercise slowly and without jerking. Having reached the peak point, we hold for 30 seconds and return to the starting position. Then pull the other leg in the same way. Ensure that the leg is always straight. Do not bend it at the knee. In addition, the leg muscles should always be kept relaxed to avoid injury.
Exercise, stretching the spine
The most popular and simple is the famous “dog pose” or “cat pose.” We get on all fours, bend back and look up. We are in this position for 15 seconds, then we accept the position as if slouching as much as possible. Hold this position for 15 seconds. Do this exercise 2 – 3 minutes.
Daily repetition of this simple set of exercises will help you keep fit, improve mood and relieve tired muscles.