A complete liquid diet is one that allows the ingestion of only fluids and foods that turn into liquids when they are at room temperature. The food program excludes the intake of solid foods.
According to information from Medline Plus, a website of the United States National Institutes of Health (NIH), this restricted solid food diet is easy to digest and aims for its followers to ingest 1,350 to 1,500 calories daily.
However, it is possible to find liquid diets whose daily caloric consumption proposal brings a lower amount.
Who should make the complete liquid diet?
The eating plan is usually indicated by medical professionals to their patients before performing an examination or surgical procedures. The diet may also be indicated to be followed during or after surgeries in the stomach or intestine and for obese people who need to lose weight before undergoing a weight loss operation such as bariatric surgery.
People who have problems with chewing and swallowing solid foods may also receive the recommendation to follow the food program.
It is essential that the diet is followed up by doctors and that all the guidelines given by the professional are followed properly. You do not have to be a health expert to realize that it is restrictive and can limit the supply of nutrients to the body, which leads to nutritional deficiencies as a consequence.
The net diet to lose weight
Due to the fact of cutting a considerable number of calories, some people may have the idea that the liquid diet slims. And this is true, but for a short time.
The drastic reduction in calorie consumption may indeed result in weight loss. Also because to lose weight it is necessary to ingest a calorific amount smaller than the one that is consumed.
However, when calorie intake is cut off dramatically, the metabolism slows down, motivated by the goal of saving energy, since it is receiving low energy doses. When the metabolism is slower, the process of burning fats and calories becomes less efficient.
Also, since it is not easy to be sustained for the long term after the diet period ends, the person has a good chance of recovering and even gaining more weight than he had lost. This is because after staying for some time without eating solid foods, the individual may exaggerate when returning to normal consumption.
The ideal way to lose weight and maintain fitness is to follow a healthy, balanced, controlled and nutritious diet that can be sustained permanently, as well as regular physical activity as a way to maximize and stimulate calorie burning.
Foods Allowed in Complete Liquid Diet
The following list shows some of the foods allowed on the full liquid diet menu:
- Cooked creamy soups;
- Fruit juices – includes nectars and juices of pulp;
- Milk shake;
- Natural ice cream;
- Frozen yogurt;
- Sherbet fruit ice cream;
- Fruit ice;
- Consomê (soup of French origin);
- Soft drinks;
- Cow milk;
- Soy milk;
- Almond Milk;
- Melted cheese;
- Cream made from eggs;
- Fruit and vegetable puree;
- Cooked baked cereal;
- Liquid food supplements.
The doctor who prescribed the complete liquid diet for the patient may still release the intake of:
- Rice cream;
- Meats in the form of baby food, like the ones given to babies;
- Baked potatoes in the soup.
Full Liquid Diet Menu
Check out the example of a daily menu for the food program:
- Breakfast: a glass of fruit juice, a cup of cooked cereal and a cup of coffee or a glass of water.
- Morning snack: a cup of fruit puree and a cup of tea.
- Lunch: a cup of vegetable puree, a glass of cow’s milk or soy milk and a cup of beef, chicken or vegetable stock.
- Afternoon snack: a cup of ice cream and a glass of water.
- Dinner: a cup of fruit puree, a cup of creamy soup, a cup of fruit juice, a cup of water and a glass of cow’s milk or soy milk.
- Supper: a glass of yogurt, a glass of fruit juice and a glass of water.
Recipes for the full liquid diet menu
1. Peach popsicle
- 3 cups peach nectar;
- ¾ cup of sour cream;
- ¼ cup brown sugar;
- 1 pinch of fine salt.
Method of preparation:
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and beat it all together with the aid of the mixer;
- Distribute the mixture in trays with popsicle mold, dividing the contents in equal quantities. Finish with the popsicle stick in each compartment and take to the freezer until it is firm, leaving there for at least four hours.
2. Pineapple juice with strawberry
- 100 g of pineapple;
- 100 g of strawberry;
- 250 ml of water.
Method of preparation:
- Peel and chop the pineapple. Chop the strawberry and wash the fruits well;
- Add them to the water in the blender. Crash, strain and serve.
3. Creamy mandiquinha soup
- 1 ½ of Little stick;
- 1 l of water;
- 3 tablespoons olive oil;
- 1 chopped onion;
- Salt to taste;
- 4 tablespoons sour cream.
Method of preparation:
- Cook the casseroles until they are very soft and reserve;
- Heat the oil in a pan and brown the onion;
- Put the Little stick, the liquid of your cooking and the onion in the blender and beat;
- Pass the cream into the pan, add salt and boil. Add the cream, stir well and serve.
Caring for complete liquid diet
Before following any diet, especially one as restrictive as the complete liquid diet, you should have indication and follow up from a doctor and nutritionist. The latter will help ensure that even with deprivations of solid foods, it is possible to receive adequate nutrients and calories.
In the case of the food program in question, this is especially important because it carries the risk of not offering the proper amount of fiber, vitamins,
Such nutritional deficiencies can bring about problems like fatigue, dizziness, hair loss, gallstones, constipation, loss of muscles and damage to the heart.
A complete liquid diet should not be taken by pregnant or breastfeeding women of their babies and people suffering from chronic illness or taking insulin to treat diabetes.